Scroll Down to view more on "Who We Are"
About US - The River is a non-denominational church founded after sixteen years of earnest prayer. Our name, The River, is symbolic of the powerful move of the Lord in our generation. God is moving in a great way as He forgives us and loves us into His presence. Lives are changed and transformed and people are finding genuine hope for their lives
If you are searching for a church
- That emphasizes a personal relationship with the Lord
- That is aggressive in prayer, worship and evangelism
- That has an effective ministry to the poor and underprivileged
- With and exciting Children and Youth Ministry
- Where the preaching is relevant, practical and challenging
- Where you can find your area of gifting
- Where you can learn to minister to others
- Where people are genuine, friendly and caring
- Where dress is casual
...then "THE RIVER" is for you!
HOW WE WORSHIP
The Bible tells us in John 4:23-24 "The Father seeks those who will worship Him in spirit and truth". "spirit" means more that just a traditional form. Rather it involves our whole heart. Matt. 22:37 says "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your mind and with all your soul". "truth" means that our worship should be according to Scripture.
Praise with our Mouth:
1. With singing, Psalm 47:6; Col. 3:16
2. With shouting, Psalm 47:1
Praise with our Body:
1. Standing, Psalm 135:1-2
2. Bowing, Kneeling, Psalm 95:6
3. Dancing, Psalm 150:4; 149:3
4. Clapping, Psalm 47:1
5. Lifting our hands, Psalm 134:2. 2Tim. 2:8
Praise with Musical Instruments: Psalm 150
Praise By our Giving: Malachi 3:8-12; 2Cor9:6-8
In scripture, giving was always and integral act of worship.
1. Tithes (1/10 of our income) - For the support of the ministry (pastor(s), etc.)
2. Offerings (over and above the tithe) - Building funds, expenses
The poor, etc.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Paul says in 2 Tim 2:16 "Scripture is God breathed". Therefore, the Scriptures must be our basis and our directive. Here is a brief summary of what we believe:
The Bible is the inspired word of God (2 Tim 3:16)
- In the external Godhead who has revealed Himself as One God existing in three persons, Father, Son and Holy Spirit; distinguishable, but indivisible.
- In the Lord Jesus Christ, the Savior of Men, conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, very God and very man. (Lk. 1:26-35, Jn 1:18, Isa. 7:14, 9:6, Rom. 14:9)
- Jesus died for our sins, was buried and rose again the third day, and personally appeared to his disciples. (1 Cor. 15:4, Rom. 4:25)
- In the bodily Ascension of Jesus to heaven, His exaltation, and personal, literal and bodily coming again the second time for His Church (Jn. 14:2-3, 1 Thess. 4:13-18)
- In the Salvation of sinners by Grace, through Repentance and Faith in the perfect and sufficient work of the Cross of Calvary by which we obtain remission of sins. (Eph. 2:8-9, Heb. 9:12, 22, Rom. 5:11)
- Man is spirit, soul and body and that upon acceptance of Christ, man's spirit is eternally justified. (Jn. 10, Rom. 8, 1 Jn. 5:12)
- In water Baptism by immersion in the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ as an act of obedience and public confession. (Acts 2:34-38, 1 Peter3:18-21)
- In the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as an experience subsequent to Salvation, generally evidenced by one or more of the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:4, 8:14-17, Gal.5:22-23, 1 Cor. 12:1-11)
- In the present-day expression of Gifts of the Spirit as mentioned in 1 Cor. 12-14 and as manifested in the Early Church.
- In the Table of the Lord, known as Communion, or the Lord's Supper, for believers. (1Cor. 11:28-32)
- In Eternal Life for the Believer and Eternal Punishment for the Unbeliever. (Jn. 5:24, 3:16, 2 Thess. 1:9, Rev. 20:10-15)
- In the present-day operation of the five-fold ministries of Elders and Deacons. (1 Tim. 3, Titus 1, Acts 6)
- In the ministry of laying on of hands for healing and impartation of the gifts of the Spirit. (James 5:14, 1 Tim 4:14)
- That Christian parents are required by the Word of God to train up the children in the way in which they should go. (Prov. 22:6, Prov. 19:27)
- That Jesus Christ is to be glorified by His church. We are to be a complete body adequately expressing the Kingdom of God to the world. This involves a lifestyle of discipleship as well as equipping and maturing believers to minister the truths and principles of God's work in love and service.